This for the information of the Participants of the Workshop to use the following to download the required LaTeX. Download the Pdf version of following content from LaTex_for_Beginners.
LaTeX is a free software (under the terms of the LaTeX Project Public License). Before getting started to work typeset the document, we need to get LaTeX distribution and LaTeX editor.
The distribution is set of typesetting system and also includes many packages to be used by the user.The LaTeX is Open-source distribution and has different names for different operating systems (Linux: TeX Live (cross-platform), Mac OS X: MacTeX and Windows: proTeXt/MikTeX).
The TeX Live distribution is includes everything about LaTeX so size is nearly 2GB and of is 2.4 GB and smaller basic version of MacTeX is also availableMikTeX is of smaller size, i.e. 185MB.
Choosing your Copy
- If you’re new to TeX and LaTeX or just want an easy installation, get a full TeX distribution.
LaTeX is not a stand-alone typesetting program in itself, but document preparation software that runs on top of Donald E. Knuth’s TeX typesetting system.
TeX distributions usually bundle together all the parts needed for a working TeX system and they generally add to this both configuration and maintenance utilities.
Nowadays LaTeX, and many of the packages built on it, form an important component of any major TeX distribution.
Following are some pointers to TeX distributions recommended by the TeXUsers Group. They are all available under a Free Software license. The list is by no means supposed to be authoritative or exhaustive.
It is an easy way to get up and running with TeX. It provides a ready-to-run TeXsystem for most types of Unix, Mac OS X, and Windows, and includes all major TeX-related programs. It also includes a complete tree of fonts and macros, with support for many
- TeXLive is sufficient.
- Mac OS
- MacTeX is a TeX distribution for MacOS X; it is TeX Live with the addition of a native Mac installer and some Mac-specific programs.
- proTeXt is a TeX distribution for Windows, maintained by Thomas Feuerstack and based on MiKTeX. proTeXt guides the MiKTeX installation via a short PDF document. It also adds a few tools on top of MiKTeX
LaTeX Editors- Chosen TeXstudio
A LaTeX distribution may or may not include a LaTeX editor. The editor is a personal choice, you can use a simple text editor. But since there are many good editors available for different operating systems why not use them. They provide LaTeX-specific functionality like code highlighting, some autocompletion, macros, automatic document
There are many advanced text editors specifically dedicated to LaTeX for the most popular operating systems, some of them can be downloaded for free while others are proprietary software:
- Open source
- TeXstudio, AUCTEX, GNU TeXmacs, Gummi, Kile, LaTeXila, MeWa, TeXShop, TeXnicCenter, Texmaker, TeXworks
- LEd, WinShell
- Inlage, Scientific WorkPlace, WinEdt
There are also general-purpose editors that add LaTeX -friendly options by means of plugins. For example the well-known editors emacs and vim have both a LaTeX extension.
Most of the editors are specific to the Operating. But we have chosen that is available for all operating systems and Open-source i.e.TeXstudio.
To get started without needing to install anything, you can use a web-hosted service featuring a full TeX distribution and the web LaTeX editor.
- It is an integrated online framework for the creation of technical documents in collaboration. Authorea’s frontend allows you to enter text in LaTeX or Markdown, as well as figures, and equations (in LaTeX or MathML). Authorea’s versioning control system is entirely based on Git (every article is a Git repository).
- It is a secure, easy to use online LaTeX editor with integrated rapid preview. Start writing with one click (no signup required) and share the link. It supports real time preview, figures, bibliographies and custom styles.
- It is a secure cloud-based LaTeX editor offering unlimited free project. Premium accounts are available for extra features such as version control and Dropbox integration.
- It is a professional Online LaTeX Editor that supports collaboration with other users and is free to use. Merge conflicts can easily resolved by using a built-in merge tool that uses an implementation of the diff-algorithm to generate information required for a successful merge.